ATV Soft Top
Regular exposure to dirt, mud, grime, and other contaminants can take a tool on your ATV soft top. As such, routine maintenance should include cleaning and removing stains to maximize its lifespan. Fortunately, dealing with tough stains isn't really that tough. Here's what you need to do to keep the soft top in top shape:
- Water source/container
- Car soap
- Canvas- and plastic-safe cleaner
- Sponge or microfiber cloth
- Clean, dry rags
Step 1: Prepare your cleaning solution.
For best results, get your hands on a car soap that's safe to use on an ATV soft top. Since a soft top is usually made of canvas and is equipped with zippers and plastic windows, you'll need a car soap or wash that's safe to use on these different materials. Squirt some soap solution into a basin or pail to make the job easier and add some water.
Step 2: Rub off the stain with a sponge or cloth.
Dip the sponge or microfiber cloth into the soap solution. Then carefully wipe the sponge or cloth over the canvas material to get rid of pollen, dirt, and grime. Avoid rubbing the plastic windows since they can easily get scratched.
Step 3: Rub off stains with a soft-top safe cleaner.
Once you've removed traces of dirt and pollen, use another sponge to apply the cleaner onto the stained surfaces. Make sure that the cleaner you're using is soft-top safe. This means the cleaner doesn't contain harsh ingredients that can damage the canvas or scratch the plastic windows. Follow the instructions on how to properly apply or use the cleaner to avoid further damage. Keep on rubbing the cleaner onto the surface until the stains are removed. Then rinse off the soft top, making sure that no cleaner residue is left.
Step 4: Clean the windows.
Using a microfiber cloth dipped in the soap solution, wipe the plastic windows clean. Keep on wiping until dirt and grime are removed. Rinse the windows off and let them dry.
Tips to remember:
- To keep your soft top in good shape, avoid parking your ATV under the trees. This is because bug, bird, and fruit droppings are hard to remove. They also usually contain harsh elements that can easily stain or damage a soft top.
- Avoid using cleaners that contain alcohol or ammonia because these ingredients can dry out plastic surfaces and cause discoloration and cracks. Also avoid cleaners that contain oil, since oil acts as a dirt magnet.
- To prevent further damage, you can apply a bit of wax after cleaning your ATV soft top. With the right wax, plastic surfaces become highly resistant to scratches, oil, debris, and dirt.
- To quickly get rid of dirt, you can invest in a portable car vacuum cleaner. This device can suck out dirt particles but leave the soft top's fabric intact.
- When cleaning plastic windows, wipe them up and down or left to right to avoid scratch and swirl marks.
- After cleaning the ATV soft top, let it dry off completely if you're planning to store it away. Moisture left on the surface can lead to mold and mildew buildup, which is a harder problem to deal with.